Friday, October 24, 2008

Attempt #2

Well, Rob is here right now for our second attempt at insemination. I think we timed it perfectly this time. It's Friday, he came here on Tuesday. I'm pretty sure I ovulated Thursday night meaning that we were able to do the inseminations both before, during and immediately after ovulation which is ideal. So my chances for getting pregnant this time are much higher than last.

I bought this new gadget - a fertility microscope. I just put some saliva on the lens first thing in the morning and wait for it to dry. If it looks like a bunch of ferns I'm very fertile. If it looks like dots, I'm not, and if it's somewhere in between I'm in transition toward or away from ovulation. It took a couple of days to get the hang of it and figure out how to get a good sample (I usually have to try 2-3 times before it works. Yesterday it showed a definite ferning pattern and, along with the other ovulation indicators I've been watching, it makes it pretty clear that yesterday was the day. So... YAY! We got it right this time. It makes it much harder to have to hope for a regular cycle (which I usually have) and work around our schedules and buy plane tickets and all that but you have to do what you have to do.

Our lives have been so busy since the last time we tried to get pregnant that we haven't had too much time to think about all of this which is ultimately a very good thing. I think us being more relaxed about it and ready to just go with the flow will make whatever the result is that much easier to take. It also makes the insemination process a lot less stressful. Clearly we really want to get pregnant, but we're both pretty laid back about stuff like this and we know that what is meant to happen will. I feel like I've got plenty of years still to have children so there's no point in focusing all of my hopes in one or two attempts when there can be so many variables in play.

With that said, this is very exciting and we are both very hopeful that it will turn out the way we want!

Random funny story: Rob probably won't tell you this (if he ever posts a blog...) but he was telling me that before he came here he was going through what he refers to as the "Big Dry Spell," (he can't orgasm for 5 days) and he was having a certain type of dream. Before anything happened he woke himself up thinking "No! The lesbians need me!" Now that's dedication! :-)

3 comments:

Heather said...

I think this is a really great blog topic! Your writing style is fun to read as well. :)

Unknown said...

I'm jealous that you guys get to see Rob so often!

Unknown said...

And I keep laughing at Rob's dream of "no! the lesbians need me!" It sounds just like him.