Sunday, November 9, 2008

Not Pregnant

Well, we had an emotional journey this past week. I apologize for not posting for so long but I kind of felt like I didn't want to jinx it or something... and I was feeling positive about it but I didn't want to say that and be wrong.

Anyway, as you can tell from the title, I am not pregnant but it's a longer story this time so let me explain. I am relatively sure I had what is called a "chemical pregnancy" which is both a good thing and a disappointment. We tested 3 days before my expected period and got a negative and then tested the day before and I saw a very faint line which is considered a positive result. I was having a few symptoms of pregnancy, the most obvious of which was that my breasts were really tender and sensitive. And I definitely *felt* like I was pregnant, for whatever that's worth. From that point on however, every test I took said negative. I didn't get my period on the 27th day of my cycle as expected, or the 28th for that matter so that made us a little more excited. But then yesterday, the 28th day, my temperature dropped slightly which worried me because that's typical before I get my period and today when I woke up it had dropped even more and I realized I had gotten my period.

So, like I've said before, it's highly unusual for me to be late and it is typical of a chemical pregnancy to have a later period. I said this was disappointing, of course, but it's also good news because it indicates that pregnancy is possible (neither Rob nor I are sterile... phew!) and likely in the future.

From what I've read, it's not known exactly what causes a chemical pregnancy but it's thought that it's due to chromosomal abnormalities with the fetus because of poor quality sperm or egg or other developmental problems. Generally, it seems common and most people wouldn't know it had happened unless they're watching their cycles like a hawk and testing early like I have been. :-)

Anyway, we were disappointed this morning when we found out because we were thinking there was a good chance we had a baby on the way. But we laid down and cuddled and talked about it and we both feel fine about it. We have a happy life, baby or not. If we were pregnant but it didn't happen, it was obviously for a reason.

A few good things about this: I get to start drinking coffee and alcohol again. I get to start eating yummy candy and fried foods again. I can relax on watching my cycle for a while. I can relax about being super healthy for a while. We have more time to acquire some savings before we start trying again. We have more time to finish our addition to our house so we have more usable room for our baby and our stuff. Next time, we won't have to stop trying if it doen't work right away because any time I get pregnant from August on, I will be done with my classes by the time I have a baby.

So, I probably won't be posting for a while but when I start again, I'll let y'all know. Thanks for keeping up with us and thanks for all the good vibes!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for the update, and I'll keep you guys in my thoughts, and on my RSS reader until next time. Peace.